My Decision to Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sam and Rose - A Listing Appointment

One day while sitting in my new and most awesome office ( I had just rearranged the furniture) I received a phone call from a raspy voiced woman named Sharon. A friend of hers had given her my name as she needed help in selling her parent’s home. She asked all the right questions and I guess I provided all the right answers because 3 days later I was walking up to the front door of a lovely ranch home owned by the equally lovely Sam and Rose.


Not only were Sam and Rose there to check out the realtor – but two of their daughters joined them as well. This was serious business and they were going to interview several agents before they decided on whom to work with. Nothing new here….and we went on with the appointment.

The house was lovely – if you like the look that was popular in 1965. It was immaculate and in great shape – just extremely dated. Rose shared with me how her brother had built the house for them, and shared with me fun stories about raising their 3 daughers there, walking them to school, their friends etc. As she walked me through the house – showing me the space – she walked both of us through memory lane and shared with me tender details of her life. She was so sweet and gentle – I really liked this woman.

We ended up seated at the kitchen table where the conversation shifted into discussions about the listing price and commission amount . This is when Sam chose to wake up and participate in the realtor interview himself. He was gruff and loud – and slow in speaking. A retired business owner used to being the boss –this was his domain to be in be responsible for. I liked Sam as well and found him fun to banter with.

The evening closed with me assuring Rose that yes indeed – I thought I could sell her home – and that I would do my best to find someone that loved it as much as she did. A handshake with Sam and the daughters – and a hug from Rose, and I was out the door.

An enjoyable evening getting a tender peek at a family in transition. A mom and dad needing more care as they aged and their health declined. The beginning of a new chapter in their life as they leave their lovely home and move into a place that was easier to take care of. But the best part for me was having the family share with me stories of the life they had in this home, and seeing the love the daughters had for their Sam and Rose. They were a beautiful example of people who had lived a full life surrounded by people who love them. An intimate glimpse of a family....what a treat.

I hoped they would pick me.

1 comment: